Sucking


One thing I am not looking forward to after this baby is born is breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is gonna suck (haha, a pun...) I know all the positives of breastfeeding vs. bottlefeeding and have always planned on breastfeeding. So, it's really not that that I'm dreading, it's breast pumping. Ugh! I do not want to do that at all, and I don't want to pay the $200+ for a pump (I know it's cheaper than formula, but still). I will be going back to work about a month and a half after the baby is born, and I have no idea where I will be able to pump. It's this thought that keeps me up at night (I know, sad...). Two of my schools will be okay for pumping. I can lock the door and no one would know. However, the school that I'm at the most (yeah, figures) is what I'm nervous about. Plus the kids are older there, so I suspect they might know what's going on. I have no idea which pump to get (I've done a bit of research and think I want a Avent). How loud is it gonna be- I want it to be virtually silent, but do not want a manual pump. How long will it take? What happens if I don't have time to pump one day?

If anyone has the answers to these questions or can recommend a good pump or book about breast feeding, please let me know.

Side note: I will NEVER breastfeed in public, some people are crazy...

2 comments:

I have a Madela pump that I love. I bought it used from a friend of a friend to save money. It's not super loud. It makes kind of a wooshing sound. It usually takes me about 20 minutes. 15 to pump and 5 for the set up/clean up. In the beginning, you have to make time to pump. Otherwise, you'll become engorged and it is super painful. Your breasts will feel rock hard and then it will be difficult to pump and you may have to do it manually. I tried to make myself do it 3 times a day. Once in the morning, at lunch, and then in the afternoon. If you get yourself into a routine and have set times it will be much easier on you, and your body.
I try not to breastfeed in public as much as possible. I always try to plan our outings around when the baby needs to eat, especially when it comes to church. However, on occasion it happens. My mom bought me a Peanut Shell, there is also a brand called Hooter Hider, that is like an apron you wear around your neck to keep everything hidden from everyone else. I used it at home first to get the hang of it before going out. Anyhow, you can buy them at Babies R Us and it's a good idea to have one just in case.
Oh, I bought the Breastfeeding for Dummies book. It was pretty helpful.

 

Thanks for the advise Samantha!